Quickly move Excel data and CSV files into SQL Server tables
What is XLhub?
- It is an add-in that creates a two-way connection between Microsoft Excel and a SQL Server database
- With XLhub, data in an Excel file can be saved to a SQL Server database. From the database, it can be retrieved into other spreadsheets or reports
- XLhub is written in C#, and it generates stored procedures for reading and writing to the database. It does not involve macros
What Problem Does It Solve?
From a Database Developer’s perspective, XLhub solves the following problems:
- Loading data from Excel to SQL server normally involves writing programs or SSIS packages
- It is not easy to edit data in a SQL Server database.
- The business creates “homegrown” applications using Microsoft Excel or Access, resulting in islands of data
- Reporting on data spread across multiple files requires manually copying/pasting data
- It is hard to compare the contents of different files and see what changed
- Spreadsheets with complex models become brittle due to links and references across sheets
What Can I Do With It?
- Push spreadsheets and CSV files into a SQL Server tables (directly from the Excel ribbon)
- Enable users to retrieve data from a SQL Server database into Excel, and then edit in Excel and save it back to SQL Server
- Secure the data in Excel files by moving it into SQL Server, and then allow only authorized users to retrieve it (XLhub supports both Windows Authentication and SQL Server Authentication)
- Easily create reports from multiple spreadsheets
- Write reports that read data from SQL Server table after it has been moved there from Excel
- Reduce Excel file clutter. Each snapshot of the data can be saved to the hub instead of “File Save As” with a new file name
What Kind of Applications Can I create Using Excel?
See our App Store for “ready-to-go” examples. Below are some applications that XLhub was designed for:
- Server Logs – Easily save logging data into a SQL Server table for analysis
- Time Tracking – Enable your employees to submit their timesheets from Excel. Automatically consolidate the submissions, create invoices, create reports, and flag exceptions
- Sales Reporting – Track sales reports from multiple regional sales reps. Easily slice and dice the data
- Budgeting – Create a multi-user budgeting application, preserve all versions of budgets requested and approved)
Is It Easy to Implement?
- Yes. In less than 5 minutes, you can map a table in Excel to a SQL Server table, and then write the data from Excel to the SQL Server table!
- Sample application and training videos are available on this site
- Applications built with XLhub can be highly customized with SQL knowledge (stored procedures)
- A 30-day free trial is available
Where Can I Get More Information?
- See videos, white papers on this website
- See our FAQ
- Best of all, contact us by chat right now.
How Much Does It Cost?
XLhub and SQL Server Extend the Capabilities of Excel
|With Excel:||With Excel and XLhub:|
|Data is locked inside spreadsheet files||Make data in spreadsheets accessible to other spreadsheets and applications|
|Multi-user sharing often involves time-consuming re-entry and cutting/pasting||Prevent routine cutting and pasting from multiple sources|
|Workbooks can only be edited by one user at a time||Allow simultaneous multi-user access to data|
|Files are duplicated excessively to track versions and to share spreadsheets between multiple users||Eliminate the need to duplicate files|
|Changes to the data are difficult to track||Add a full audit trail to your data|
|No version control||Use versioning to roll back changes to any particular version|
|Security and access control are difficult to provide||Add a security and access layer to Excel|
XLhub Offers Full Integration with SQL Server
XLhub is designed to fully integrate Excel with SQL Server, allowing two-way data transfer. If you depend on Excel and need to save your data to SQL Server, make XLhub your simple solution and extend the capabilities of Excel even further.