Get better control over your spreadsheet models, secure your data and reduce the clutter of files
What is XLhub?
- XLhub is an Excel add-in for data management
- It enables the creation of complex spreadsheet models and simplifies reporting.
- With XLhub, data in spreadsheets can be saved to a central repository (hub). From the hub, it can be retrieved into other spreadsheets or reports.
- When data is saved, the user’s ID and a timestamp is also saved
- Only users with the appropriate permissions can retrieve other people’s data into their spreadsheet
What Problems Does It Solve?
From an Excel Power User’s perspective, XLhub solves the following problems:
- Files have to be emailed in order to share data
- Files may fall into the wrong hands because email is used to distribute them
- It is hard to compare the contents of different files and see what changed
- Files have to be saved with new name in order preserve a snapshot of the data
- Spreadsheets with complex models become brittle due to links and references across sheets
- Reporting on data spread across multiple files is difficult
- People have to be given access to entire file even if they require only a subset of the data in the file
- Confidential data is exposed because permissions are hard to manage with Excel files
What Can I Do With It?
- Create complex spreadsheet models that are maintainable and extensible (see white papers and our app store)
- Simplify business processes so that people can collaborate without emailing files to each other
- Reduce Excel file clutter. Each snapshot of the data can be saved to the hub instead of “File Save As” with a new file name
- Build applications using Excel as the front-end
- Easily consolidate data from multiple files
What Kind of Applications Can I create Using Excel?
See our App Store for “ready-to-go” examples. Below are some applications that XLhub was designed for:
- Sales Reporting – Combine sales reports from multiple regional sales reps
- Budgeting – Create a multi-user budgeting application, preserve all versions of data
- Sales & Operations Planning – Integrate your supply planning and demand planning models into a Sales & Operations Planning application. Preserve assumptions and scenarios. Compare the output of multiple scenarios side-by-side
Is It Easy to Implement?
- Yes. Benefits can be realized within hours.
- The implementation steps are:
- Confirm you have the pre-requisite software:
- Windows XP or Windows 7
- Excel 2007 or Excel 2010
- SQL Server (ask your IT department, or download it for free from Microsoft)
- Design your spreadsheet in Excel
- Setup the database (get help from your IT department or watch our video on how to do it yourself)
- Connect the spreadsheet to the database (using the XLhub wizard)
- Provide a copy of the spreadsheet to your other colleagues
- Begin realizing the benefits!
Where Can I Get More Information?
- See videos, white papers on this website
- See our FAQ
- Best of all, contact us by chat right now.
How Much Does It Cost?
XLhub and SQL Server Extend the Capabilities of Excel
|With Excel:||With Excel and XLhub:|
|Data is locked inside spreadsheet files||Make data in spreadsheets accessible to other spreadsheets and applications|
|Multi-user sharing often involves time-consuming re-entry and cutting/pasting||Prevent routine cutting and pasting from multiple sources|
|Workbooks can only be edited by one user at a time||Allow simultaneous multi-user access to data|
|Files are duplicated excessively to track versions and to share spreadsheets between multiple users||Eliminate the need to duplicate files|
|Changes to the data are difficult to track||Add a full audit trail to your data|
|No version control||Use versioning to roll back changes to any particular version|
|Security and access control are difficult to provide||Add a security and access layer to Excel|
XLhub Offers Full Integration with SQL Server
XLhub is designed to fully integrate Excel with SQL Server, allowing two-way data transfer. If you depend on Excel and need to save your data to SQL Server, make XLhub your simple solution and extend the capabilities of Excel even further.